WICHITA FALLS, TX (KAUZ) - Midwestern State snapped a two-match losing skid Monday afternoon as the Mustangs made their return home with a 9-0 blanking of NAIA Doane (Neb.) at the MSU Tennis Center.
Midwestern State (3-3) coasted to a 3-0 advantage in doubles play, dropping just two games in the process. With an 8-0 win at No. 1 doubles, senior Ramon Toyos moved into a tie for 10th on the all-time wins list with his 101st career dual victory.
The 15th-ranked Mustangs continued their strong play into singles, recording all straight-set wins in the sweep of Doane (4-3).
Freshman Angel Palacios collected his fifth-straight win with a 6-2, 6-1 result over Kris Kiland in his first career appearance at No. 1 singles. Freshmen Joshua Sundaram and Denney Norrie tallied their first career singles wins playing on courts five and six, respectively.
Midwestern State faces No. 20 Ferris State (Mich.) in a rematch of last year's NCAA Quarterfinal tomorrow at 3:30 p.m. at the MSU Tennis Center.
#15 Midwestern State 9, Doane (Neb.) 0
Mar. 6, 2017 at Wichita Falls, Texas (MSU Tennis Center)
1. Angel Palacios (MSU) def. Kris Kiland (DOANE) 6-2, 6-1
2. Vasudev Vijayaraman (MSU) def. Aaron Cook (DOANE) 6-3, 6-1
3. Dylan Hall (MSU) def. Grayson McCartney (DOANE) 6-0, 6-1
4. Chris Norrie (MSU) def. Arcane Boles (DOANE) 6-1, 6-1
5. Joshua Sundaram (MSU) def. Elliott Abromeit (DOANE) 6-4, 6-2
6. Denney Norrie (MSU) def. Ignacio Morell (DOANE) 6-2, 6-1
1. Ramon Toyos/Dylan Hall (MSU) def. Kris Kiland/Grayson McCartney (DOANE) 8-0
2. Chris Norrie/Vasudev Vijayaraman (MSU) def. Aaron Cook/Elliott Abromeit (DOANE) 8-1
3. Angel Palacios/Denney Norrie (MSU) def. Arcane Boles/Ignacio Morell (DOANE) 8-1
Doane (Neb.) 4-3
Midwestern State 3-3; National ranking #15; Regional ranking #1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,3,4,2,6,5)