Panhandle residents not happy with statements from radio DJ - Newschannel 6 Now | Wichita Falls, TX

Panhandle residents not happy with statements from radio DJ

(Source:Ashley Till blog) (Source:Ashley Till blog)
AMARILLO, TX (KAUZ) -

Social posts are going viral after listeners of The Highway on Sirius XM heard D.J. Ashley Till jokingly refer to recent wildfires in the Panhandle as a "barbecue."

Till's comment, "barbecue for everyone," aired Thursday after a weather segment that included information about ongoing wildfires.

The remark quickly garnered attention on social media, many from Texas Panhandle residents impacted by the fires that destroyed hundreds of thousands of acres and killed 4 people.

Till apologized Friday on her personal blog, saying the comment was a mistake because she did not know the full story and she made light of a tragedy.

"Sadly, it's turned into a telephone game," Till said. "People are assuming I have no regard for human life or that I don’t care about the damage that has been done.  This is simply not the case. I honestly didn’t know the full story of the fires. And from the bottom of my heart, I am sorry.  Trust me, I have spent the past 24 hrs crying and feeling sick to my stomach because of the entire situation. Just because you don’t see a post of my face on social media doesn’t mean I’m hiding or “proud” of my comments. I’m not."

The issue spiraled further due an another post on Till's timeline that said, "to everyone who gets their panties in a bunch over nothing... Happy National Get Over it Day." Till said the post was not in regard to her on-air comment and blamed "poor timing" for the outrage.

Copyright 2017 KFDA. All rights reserved.

The Latest: Kim gave his sister a place at negotiating table

Thursday, April 26 2018 8:03 PM EDT2018-04-27 00:03:04 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 11:00 PM EDT2018-04-27 03:00:17 GMT
    (AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon). South Korean President Moon Jae-in waves as he leaves to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, near presidential Blue House in Seoul, South Korea, Friday, April 27, 2018. North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and President Moo...(AP Photo/Ahn Young-joon). South Korean President Moon Jae-in waves as he leaves to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, near presidential Blue House in Seoul, South Korea, Friday, April 27, 2018. North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and President Moo...
    South Korean President Moon Jae-in leaves for summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

The Latest: Lions, Bengals each draft centers

Thursday, April 26 2018 6:31 PM EDT2018-04-26 22:31:36 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 10:53 PM EDT2018-04-27 02:53:26 GMT
    (AP Photo/Tom R. Smedes, File). FILE - In this Oct. 22, 2016, file photo, Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen reacts after scoring a touchdown in the second half of an NCAA college football game against Nevada in Reno, Nev. Allen is expected to be a first r...(AP Photo/Tom R. Smedes, File). FILE - In this Oct. 22, 2016, file photo, Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen reacts after scoring a touchdown in the second half of an NCAA college football game against Nevada in Reno, Nev. Allen is expected to be a first r...
    The NFL has renewed an exclusive partnership with Amazon Prime Video for digital streaming of Thursday night games during 2018 and 2019 seasons.

Trump's Cohen comments raise questions about relationship

Thursday, April 26 2018 9:18 AM EDT2018-04-26 13:18:48 GMT
    Thursday, April 26 2018 10:52 PM EDT2018-04-27 02:52:15 GMT
    President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him 'with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal' and that 'from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong.' (Source: CNN)President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him 'with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal' and that 'from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong.' (Source: CNN)

President Donald Trump says his personal attorney Michael Cohen represents him "with this crazy Stormy Daniels deal" and that "from what I see he did absolutely nothing wrong."