Mother describes natural gas leak as a scary situation

Mother describes natural gas leak as a scary situation

WICHITA FALLS, TX (KAUZ) - A mother is speaking out after a scary night at the Wichita Falls Walmart on Lawrence.

Jessica Brashear said she was shopping with her husband, three-year-old son and 4-month old daughter around 10:20 p.m. Saturday night when a Walmart employee told them to get out the store as soon possible.

Brashear would later learn they were being evacuated because of a natural gas leak.

She Said she was confused like most of the shoppers.

"They weren't understanding why," said Brashear. "Some of them were a little irritated that they had to leave. They were like well can we check out our items and they were like no you have to leave the store. We are sorry you need to leave now."

She said she felt panicked but tried to stay calm for her kids because she knows they can pick up on that.

Fire officials said a forklift is what busted the gas line in the store causing the leak.

They said one man was checked out, but no major injuries were reported.

Brashear had this advice for people who may find themselves in a similar situation.

She said to stay calm for your kids and follow the directions officials give you, not just for your own safety but because you do not know who's life you could be putting in jeopardy.

She adds the Walmart employees handle the situation well.

Copyright 2017 All Rights Reserved