WICHITA FALLS, TX (KAUZ) - Wichita Falls Police release tips on how to avoid becoming a victim of mail theft.
As tax season continues police said mail thieves will be looking to get their hands on checks you are waiting on in the mail. Officers said mail thefts are on the rise.
To avoid becoming a victim they have provided a list of tips.
* If possible, drop your mail at the local post office or hand it personally to your letter carrier.
* Pick up your mail promptly after delivery. Don't leave it in your mailbox overnight. If you're expecting checks, credit cards, or other negotiable items, ask a trusted friend or neighbor to pick up your mail.
* If you don't receive a check or other valuable mail you're expecting, contact the issuing agency immediately.
* If you change your address, immediately notify your post office and anyone with whom you do business via the mail.
* Don't send cash in the mail.
* Tell your post office when you'll be out-of-town, so they can hold your mail until you return.
* Report all suspected mail theft to a Postal Inspector.
* Consider starting a neighborhood watch program. By exchanging work and vacation schedules with trusted friends and neighbors, you can watch each other's mailboxes (as well as homes).
* Consult with your local Postmaster for the most up-to-date regulations on mailboxes, including the availability of locked centralized or curbside mailboxes
* Avoid using dumpsters to dispose of sensitive personal information. Mail thieves will sometimes pilfer a dumpster looking for information they can use.
* If you see suspicious people and/or vehicles in your neighborhood or if you see someone you don't know removing mail from a mailbox, call the police.