Wichita Falls woman arrested, accused of leaving baby, 9-year-old home alone

Wichita Falls woman arrested, accused of leaving baby, 9-year-old home alone

WICHITA FALLS, TX (KAUZ) - A Wichita Falls woman was arrested after WFPD were called to her apartment in May.

On May 16, 2017, Wichita Falls Police were called out to the Woodview Apartments complex on 32nd Street in reference to a check welfare call for a specific apartment.

An anonymous caller said she heard a baby crying in that specific apartment. The caller said the child's mother had left the apartment and the caller was concerned the baby was not being taken care of.

An officer knocked on the door a couple of times, announcing himself as being with the WFPD. Eventually, a 9-year-old boy answered the door upset saying he thought the officers were burglars, that is why he did not answer the door immediately.

The officer asked to speak to the boy's mother, but the boy said she was not there. The boy told the officer that no one was watching him or his 1-year-old brother.

The officer contacted the children's mother, Miranda Lynn Roberson, 32, and asked where she was. Roberson said she was at her aunt's house on Garfield Street.

After the officer explained the situation, Roberson said she was on her way back to the apartment.

Before she got back to the apartment she called back asking the officer, "Am I in trouble? I didn't do anything wrong. I had someone watching my kids."

Roberson told the officer she spoke to a neighbor and asked if the neighbor's 18-year-old son could watch her children while she was away.

The officer asked the 9-year-old, after speaking to Roberson, if the neighbor's son came over at all that evening and the boy said no.

Before Roberson arrived at the apartment the neighbors contacted the officer and said they had just received a call from Roberson and asked if everything was alright.

The officer asked the neighbor and her son if Roberson contacted them about watching her children. They both said no adding they had not heard from her at all that day until right then.

When Roberson arrived on scene the officer asked who she left in charge of her children. Roberson said she asked her neighbor's son to watch them. The officer asked to see what time the phone call was made on Roberson's phone and she refused to show the officer.

The arrest affidavit states Roberson admitted to the officer that she left her children alone without supervision to go pick up a case of bottled water from her aunt's home. She stated she was away from her apartment for 15 to 20 minutes.

Roberson was booked into the Wichita County Jail on Wednesday charged with two counts of Abandoning or Endangering a Child with a $10,000 bond.

Copyright 2017 KAUZ All Rights Reserved