WICHITA FALLS, TX (KAUZ) - The Wichita Falls Police Department released a list of safety tips as children get ready for the upcoming school year.
For students who walk to school officers want you to take the following measures:
* Plan a route to school or the bus stop. Select the most direct way with the fewest street crossings and with intersections that have crossing guards if possible.
* Instruct your student to keep their head up and phone down! Never walk while texting or talking on the phone.
* Be sure your child walks to and from school with a sibling, friend, or neighbor. Use Nextdoor to find other kids in the neighborhood who are walking the same route. Remember, there is safety in numbers.
Precautions also need to be taken by drivers, especially since they've enjoyed three months of no school zone speed limits.
Below are tips WFPD want drivers to take as they see more school buses and children on their daily route:
* Drivers have a lot to pay attention to, especially in school zones, and there is never an occasion that justifies using a phone while driving.
* The area 10 feet around a school bus is the most dangerous for children. Stop far enough back to give them space to safely enter and exit the school bus.
* Many children ride their bike to school. If you're turning right and a bicyclist is approaching from behind on the right, let the rider go through the intersection first, and always use your turn signal.