Trump blocks Chinese purchase of US semiconductor maker - KAUZ-TV: Newschannel 6 Now | Wichita Falls, TX

Trump blocks Chinese purchase of US semiconductor maker

WASHINGTON (AP) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Wednesday blocked a Chinese government-financed firm's acquisition of an Oregon semiconductor maker on national security grounds.

A federal panel that reviews foreign investment in the United States for possible security threats ruled against the proposed $1.3 billion purchase of Lattice Semiconductor last week. The deal has been under scrutiny since it became clear the buyer, Canyon Bridge Capital Partners, is funded by the Chinese government.

Chinese companies are on a global buying spree to acquire technology and brands. Most acquisitions in the United States and Europe go through without incident, but some purchases of high-tech companies have prompted criticism they might represent security threats or the loss of important national assets.

"Credible evidence leads me to believe" the buyers of Lattice "might take action that threatens to impair the national security of the United States," Trump said in his order .

A statement from the White House press secretary cited the importance of "semiconductor supply chain integrity" to U.S. security, the Chinese government's role in supporting the transaction and the potential transfer of intellectual property to a foreign buyer.

Trump has expressed concern about the status of U.S. manufacturing and its ability to meet national security needs. In July, he issued an order for a review to be led by the Defense Department. He also has asked the Commerce Department to look into whether to raise tariffs on imported steel on national security grounds.

Following Trump's announcement, Lattice said it was canceling the proposed sale.

Lattice manufactures a relatively low-tech class of programmable computer chips that can be adapted for a variety of uses. It had 1,000 employees worldwide at the end of the last year, but that number dwindled after Lattice sold a division in India and laid off workers.

In December, the German government blocked the Chinese purchase of a chipmaker, Aixtron SE, after then-U.S. President Barack Obama prohibited the buyer from taking over its California subsidiary on national security grounds.

In 2012, Obama blocked Chinese-owned Ralls Corp. from building a wind farm near a naval base in Oregon. The previous year, China's Huawei Technologies Ltd. called off its planned purchase of 3Leaf Systems after the U.S. security panel refused to approve the deal.

In 1990, then-President George H.W. Bush blocked the purchase of MAMCO Manufacturing Inc., a maker of aircraft parts, by a Chinese state-owned company.

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • InternationalMore>>

  • German officials see no sign of election hacking _ yet

    German officials see no sign of election hacking _ yet

    Wednesday, September 20 2017 11:46 AM EDT2017-09-20 15:46:11 GMT
    Wednesday, September 20 2017 5:49 PM EDT2017-09-20 21:49:08 GMT
    German officials say there's no sign of concerted cyberattacks aimed at influencing the outcome of the country's election Sunday, but are warning against giving the all-clear yet.
    German officials say there's no sign of concerted cyberattacks aimed at influencing the outcome of the country's election Sunday, but are warning against giving the all-clear yet.
  • Report: Iran group hacks aviation, petrochemical industries

    Report: Iran group hacks aviation, petrochemical industries

    Wednesday, September 20 2017 10:05 AM EDT2017-09-20 14:05:01 GMT
    Wednesday, September 20 2017 5:48 PM EDT2017-09-20 21:48:50 GMT

    Cybersecurity firm warns that a suspected group of hackers in Iran are targeting the aviation and petrochemical industries in Saudi Arabia, the U.S. and South Korea.

    Cybersecurity firm warns that a suspected group of hackers in Iran are targeting the aviation and petrochemical industries in Saudi Arabia, the U.S. and South Korea.

  • The Latest: Iran's president slams Trump's UN speech

    The Latest: Iran's president slams Trump's UN speech

    Wednesday, September 20 2017 8:35 AM EDT2017-09-20 12:35:41 GMT
    Wednesday, September 20 2017 5:47 PM EDT2017-09-20 21:47:25 GMT
    The first treaty to ban nuclear weapons is set for countries to sign at the United Nations. It's backed by over 100 countries, but nuclear-armed nations want no part of it.
    The first treaty to ban nuclear weapons is set for countries to sign at the United Nations. It's backed by over 100 countries, but nuclear-armed nations want no part of it.
  • National politicsMore>>

  • In citizenship message, Trump welcomes immigrants to America

    In citizenship message, Trump welcomes immigrants to America

    Wednesday, September 20 2017 3:35 AM EDT2017-09-20 07:35:16 GMT
    Wednesday, September 20 2017 5:50 PM EDT2017-09-20 21:50:08 GMT
    President Donald Trump has issued a welcome message for new American citizens urging them to help others assimilate and remain loyal to their new country.
    President Donald Trump has issued a welcome message for new American citizens urging them to help others assimilate and remain loyal to their new country.
  • 'I have decided,' Trump says of Iran deal _ before big talks

    'I have decided,' Trump says of Iran deal _ before big talks

    Wednesday, September 20 2017 3:54 AM EDT2017-09-20 07:54:56 GMT
    Wednesday, September 20 2017 5:47 PM EDT2017-09-20 21:47:50 GMT
    The United States and Iran will have their highest-level interaction of Donald Trump's presidency, a day after the American leader delivered a blistering attack on the Islamic Republic and the landmark 2015 nuclear...
    The United States and Iran will have their highest-level interaction of Donald Trump's presidency, a day after the American leader delivered a blistering attack on the Islamic Republic and the landmark 2015 nuclear deal.
  • Government: Prison fits Weiner's sex crime on teen victim

    Government: Prison fits Weiner's sex crime on teen victim

    Wednesday, September 20 2017 12:29 PM EDT2017-09-20 16:29:30 GMT
    Wednesday, September 20 2017 5:47 PM EDT2017-09-20 21:47:42 GMT
    The government says former New York congressman Anthony Weiner should go to prison for about two years after engaging in sexting with a 15-year-old girl.
    The government says former New York congressman Anthony Weiner should go to prison for about two years after engaging in sexting with a 15-year-old girl.
Powered by Frankly