House fire sends man to hospital

WICHITA FALLS, TX (KAUZ) - Plumber airlifted to Dallas hospital following a house fire in Wichita Falls

Wichita Falls Fire Department firefighter said the plumber suffered burn injuries due to smoke inhalation and airlifted to Parkland Memorial. The identity of the plumber is still unknown.

He was underneath of a home on the 1500 block of Speedway Avenue working on the waterline when the home caught fire. WFFD firefighters said that a blowtorch used by the plumber accidentally started the fire.

WFFD received the call of a house fire around 11:05 a.m. ten minutes later. The fire was put out around 11:25 a.m.

The owner of the home said he was devastated. He said he just moved into the house less than a month ago and hired the plumber to make renovations to his waterline.

A neighbor said he saw the fire from his front yard.

"We were sitting on the porch and saw smoke coming from this general area," Charles Drysdale said. "We didn't know exactly where the smoke came from until we saw the fire department coming down the street.

"It's just one of those situations you can never predict," Drysdale said.

WFFD said the damage total is an estimated $30,000. Firefighters cut a hole in the roof to let some of the smoke out.

The plumber was the only person inside the home during the fire and there were no other injuries.

Copyright 2017 KAUZ All Rights Reserved