Detroit man pleads guilty to threatening police on Facebook - Newschannel 6 Now | Wichita Falls, TX

Detroit man pleads guilty to threatening police on Facebook

DETROIT (AP) - A Detroit man is awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty to making threats on Facebook against police officers.

The office of Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette says 42-year-old Nheru Littleton entered the plea Tuesday in a Detroit courtroom to making a threat of terrorism. Sentencing is scheduled for April 10.

Authorities say he used social media in July 2016 to encourage the killing of white officers after the fatal shooting of five officers in Dallas.

Littleton's attorney had earlier argued that Littleton's posts were protected by the First Amendment. The defense had challenged on appeal whether the charge could proceed, but higher courts including the Michigan Court of Appeals let it move forward.

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • News HeadlinesNewsMore>>

  • Closings & Cancellations

    Closings & Cancellations

    Wednesday, February 21 2018 5:46 PM EST2018-02-21 22:46:03 GMT
    (Source: RNN Texoma)(Source: RNN Texoma)

    Newschannel 6 is working to monitor the latest closures, delays and cancellations across Texoma due to inclement weather.

    Newschannel 6 is working to monitor the latest closures, delays and cancellations across Texoma due to inclement weather.

  • Jennifer Lawrence on cold dress controversy: 'Get a grip people'

    Jennifer Lawrence on cold dress controversy: 'Get a grip people'

    Wednesday, February 21 2018 5:32 PM EST2018-02-21 22:32:28 GMT
    Wednesday, February 21 2018 5:32 PM EST2018-02-21 22:32:28 GMT

    Jennifer Lawrence appeared a sleeveless Versace gown next to her bundled up male co-stars.

    Jennifer Lawrence appeared a sleeveless Versace gown next to her bundled up male co-stars.

  • The Latest: Bjoergen becomes most decorated Winter Olympian

    The Latest: Bjoergen becomes most decorated Winter Olympian

    Tuesday, February 20 2018 8:12 PM EST2018-02-21 01:12:24 GMT
    Wednesday, February 21 2018 3:37 PM EST2018-02-21 20:37:33 GMT

    The Trump administration says Vice President Mike Pence was ready to meet with representatives from North Korea during his visit to the Olympic Games in South Korea but that North Korea canceled at the last minute.

    The Trump administration says Vice President Mike Pence was ready to meet with representatives from North Korea during his visit to the Olympic Games in South Korea but that North Korea canceled at the last minute.

Powered by Frankly