City approves Vernon ISD on-campus officer - Newschannel 6 Now | Wichita Falls, TX

City approves Vernon ISD on-campus officer

(Source:KAUZ) (Source:KAUZ)
VERNON,TX(RNN Texoma) -

Vernon Independent School Department will soon have its own officer on campus.

At last Tuesday night’s city commissioners meeting, city leaders approved hiring a School Resource Officer.

Jeff Byrd, Vernon ISD Superintendent, said this has been in the works for quite some time, but the recent high school shooting is adding to the urgency to make this happen.

“The scare in Florida for many different factors is very concerning, and our number one priority is keeping our students safe,” said Superintendent Byrd.

The officer will work at the secondary campuses during school days and with the Vernon PD when school is out.

The district will pay 70% of the SRO's salary, and the city agreed to pick up the remaining 30%.

Off-duty officers will fill the position starting in March until someone takes on the job permanently.

Copyright 2018 RNN Texoma All Rights Reserved 

  • News HeadlinesNewsMore>>

  • Venezuela keeps voting stations open amid light turnout

    Venezuela keeps voting stations open amid light turnout

    Sunday, May 20 2018 12:22 AM EDT2018-05-20 04:22:02 GMT
    Sunday, May 20 2018 8:43 PM EDT2018-05-21 00:43:39 GMT
    (AP Photo/Ariana Cubillos). Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro makes the victory sign after a meeting with former Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero at the presidential palace in Caracas, Venezuela, Friday, May 18, 2018. Maduro is se...(AP Photo/Ariana Cubillos). Venezuela's President Nicolas Maduro makes the victory sign after a meeting with former Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero at the presidential palace in Caracas, Venezuela, Friday, May 18, 2018. Maduro is se...
    Venezuelans vote Sunday in a presidential election with Nicolas Maduro expected to win a second six-year term, despite a deepening crisis that's made food scarce and inflation soar as oil production in the once...
    Venezuelans vote Sunday in a presidential election with Nicolas Maduro expected to win a second six-year term, despite a deepening crisis that's made food scarce and inflation soar as oil production in the once wealthy nation plummets.
  • Pope Francis to invest 14 new cardinals in June

    Pope Francis to invest 14 new cardinals in June

    Sunday, May 20 2018 6:41 AM EDT2018-05-20 10:41:19 GMT
    Sunday, May 20 2018 8:43 PM EDT2018-05-21 00:43:28 GMT
    (AP Photo/Gregorio Borgia). Pope Francis asperges holy water as he celebrates a Pentecost mass in St. Peter's Basilica, at the Vatican, Sunday, May 20, 2018.(AP Photo/Gregorio Borgia). Pope Francis asperges holy water as he celebrates a Pentecost mass in St. Peter's Basilica, at the Vatican, Sunday, May 20, 2018.

    Pope Francis has announced that he will make 14 new cardinals next month, among them his chief aide for helping homeless people.

    Pope Francis has announced that he will make 14 new cardinals next month, among them his chief aide for helping homeless people.

  • Congo to begin vaccinating against Ebola on Monday

    Congo to begin vaccinating against Ebola on Monday

    Sunday, May 20 2018 5:11 AM EDT2018-05-20 09:11:15 GMT
    Sunday, May 20 2018 8:42 PM EDT2018-05-21 00:42:34 GMT
    Congo's health ministry says there is one new death from Ebola, bringing to 26 the number of deaths from the deadly outbreak in Equateur province in the country's northwest. (Source:  WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION)Congo's health ministry says there is one new death from Ebola, bringing to 26 the number of deaths from the deadly outbreak in Equateur province in the country's northwest. (Source: WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION)

    Congo's health ministry says there is one new death from Ebola, bringing to 26 the number of deaths from the deadly outbreak in Equateur province in the country's northwest.

    Congo's health ministry says there is one new death from Ebola, bringing to 26 the number of deaths from the deadly outbreak in Equateur province in the country's northwest.

Powered by Frankly