New details released in deadly shooting on Juarez Street

New details released in deadly shooting on Juarez Street

WICHITA FALLS, Tx (RNN Texoma) - An arrest affidavit is providing new details about a deadly shooting in Wichita Falls that left an Abilene man dead early Tuesday morning.

Just before 1 a.m. officers were dispatched to the 1000 block of Juarez Street in reference to a possible burglary of a habitation.

When police arrived at the scene, they found Matthew Liggins, 28, in a vehicle with multiple gunshot wounds. Liggins was rushed to United Regional where he later died.

A witness on the scene told officers she was in the front passenger seat of the vehicle and the suspect was possibly Eric Glenn Lee II, 22.

According to the arrest warrant, detectives were told another person showed up and fled with Lee. The witness was taken to the police department for an interview.

During that interview, the witness said she and Liggins had driven from Abilene to Wichita Falls to pick up a friend who had been robbed by Lee the previous day. But the witness said she and Liggins did not know about the robbery until they arrived in Wichita Falls.

When Liggins and the witness arrived at the 1000 block of Juarez, Liggins contacted Lee and told Lee they were outside, according to the witness.

The witness said Lee and another person, she thought might have been a woman, with brown and black dreads came up to the back driver side door and opened it.

The witness said Lee then pulled out a gun and pointed it at Liggins from the backseat and demanded Liggins given him everything he had. Liggins told Lee he did not have anything and Lee began shooting hitting Liggins multiple times, according to the witness.

The witness said Lee then grabbed a drawstring bag and fled the scene. The witness said she knew Lee from Abilene and could pick him out of a lineup. Detectives showed the witness a lineup containing Lee and five other men with similar features.

The witness picked Lee out of the lineup and said she was 100-percent sure he was the shooter. Detectives were also shown text messages from the friend who said Lee robbed her the previous day.

Those text messages said the friend was told by Lee that he was meeting with Liggins to get "700 worth" of something and the friend had tried to tell Liggins and the witness before they got to Wichita Falls that Lee had tried to rob her before this incident, according to police.

Detectives spoke with the friend who said the previous day Lee and a man with braids or dreadlocks had robbed her and Lee had a gun and had shot at her house in the past.

WFPD officials believe Lee was attempting to rob Liggins when he was fatally shot therefore a Capital Murder warrant was issued. Lee was arrested and booked into the Wichita County Jail on Tuesday afternoon where he remains with a $2 million bond.

Copyright 2018 RNN Texoma. All Rights Reserved.