WICHITA FALLS, Tx (RNN Texoma) - The Wichita Falls Police Department is encouraging residents to be vigilant following a string of vehicle burglaries this month.
From May 7 to 20, the WFPD received 35 burglary of a vehicle reports.
During those investigations, it was determined 45 vehicles had been broken into and none of them showed signs of forced entry, according to the WFPD.
There were 12 handguns stolen in the process of these burglaries. To try and prevent becoming a victim of this crime, the WFPD issued the following tips.
Take, Lock, Hide. The basic crime-fighting tool to help reduces vehicle burglaries.
- Lock your vehicle. It takes seconds to break a window, but doing so makes noise – and criminals hate making noise.
- Hide valuables from sight, or take items with you. If a criminal doesn’t see anything, they’re less likely to break in and will move on.
- Park in areas that are not secluded. Well lit parking lots, with good “sight lines”, make it more likely your vehicle is visible to the general public.
- Aftermarket car stereos; consider models with removable faceplates. Take the faceplate with you when you leave your vehicle.
- Record serial numbers of property you may leave inside your vehicle. If stolen, it makes it more likely the suspect, if he tries to pawn, will be identified.