WFISD responds to Gov. Abbott's school safety plan - Newschannel 6 Now | Wichita Falls, TX

WFISD responds to Gov. Abbott's school safety plan

WFISD sent out a statement on Friday in response to Governor Greg Abbott's school safety plan. (Source: RNN Texoma) WFISD sent out a statement on Friday in response to Governor Greg Abbott's school safety plan. (Source: RNN Texoma)
WICHITA FALLS, Tx (RNN Texoma) -

Wichita Falls ISD released a statement Friday afternoon in response to Governor Greg Abbott's school safety plan. 

Gov. Abbott unveiled his plan, that includes policy and legislative changes, on Wednesday that includes extra security at schools and keeping guns out of the hands of people who should not have them.

News Channel 6 spoke with Electra ISD earlier this week following Gov. Abbott's announcement. 

Officials with the community relations office of WFISD released the following statement;

"Wichita Falls ISD is extremely appreciative of the focus Governor Abbott and his administration have placed on school safety for students and staff. Wichita Falls ISD believes in collaborative efforts to maintain a safe learning environment.

Because of our commitment to safety, security upgrades were included in the bond package that voters approved in May 2015. Over the past three years, Wichita Falls ISD has installed additional security cameras and increased the security at our campus entrances.

The final phase of this project is expected to be complete this summer. In addition, Wichita Falls ISD has added additional training for our staff in regard to student safety and security.

In the coming weeks, we will review the plan recommended by Governor Abbott. We remain committed to partnering with our community to provide a safe and secure learning environment for all students." 

Copyright 2018 RNN Texoma. All Rights Reserved.

  • News HeadlinesNewsMore>>

  • Trump says he 'won't let' social media target conservatives

    Trump says he 'won't let' social media target conservatives

    Saturday, August 18 2018 9:48 AM EDT2018-08-18 13:48:43 GMT
    Saturday, August 18 2018 11:47 PM EDT2018-08-19 03:47:51 GMT
    President Donald Trump boards Air Force One at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., Friday, Aug. 17, 2018. (Source: AP Photo/Pablo MartinPresident Donald Trump boards Air Force One at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., Friday, Aug. 17, 2018. (Source: AP Photo/Pablo Martin

    President Donald Trump is accusing social media companies of "totally discriminating against Republican/Conservative voices" and says he "we won't let that happen.".

    President Donald Trump is accusing social media companies of "totally discriminating against Republican/Conservative voices" and says he "we won't let that happen.".

  • Boy, 8, saves little brother from pit bull attack

    Boy, 8, saves little brother from pit bull attack

    Sunday, August 19 2018 3:00 AM EDT2018-08-19 07:00:40 GMT
    Sacha Pchelenkov, 8, protected his younger brother from two pit bulls, making sure the toddler wasn't injured. (Source: WBBM/CNN)Sacha Pchelenkov, 8, protected his younger brother from two pit bulls, making sure the toddler wasn't injured. (Source: WBBM/CNN)

    Police said the dogs’ owner was given two citations, and they’ll be talking with prosecutors to see if charges are warranted in the case.

    Police said the dogs’ owner was given two citations, and they’ll be talking with prosecutors to see if charges are warranted in the case.

  • Italy's leader demands safe roads; bridge toll rises to 43

    Italy's leader demands safe roads; bridge toll rises to 43

    Saturday, August 18 2018 4:10 AM EDT2018-08-18 08:10:33 GMT
    Sunday, August 19 2018 2:01 AM EDT2018-08-19 06:01:54 GMT
    (Luca Zennaro/ANSA via AP). Firefighters remove debris of the collapsed Morandi highway bridge in Genoa, Italy, Thursday, Aug. 16, 2018. Italian authorities have lowered the death to 38 from 39 in the collapse of a highway bridge in Genoa. Genoa Prefec...(Luca Zennaro/ANSA via AP). Firefighters remove debris of the collapsed Morandi highway bridge in Genoa, Italy, Thursday, Aug. 16, 2018. Italian authorities have lowered the death to 38 from 39 in the collapse of a highway bridge in Genoa. Genoa Prefec...

    Italian media say three more bodies have been found in the rubble of the Genoa bridge collapse, raising the death toll to 41.

    Italian media say three more bodies have been found in the rubble of the Genoa bridge collapse, raising the death toll to 41.

Powered by Frankly