BURKBURNETT, Tx (RNN Texoma) - The Burkburnett Police Department took to social media on Wednesday to warn residents about a scam.
According to a post on the department's Facebook page, several calls have come in reporting substandard or fraudulent roofing contractors operating in the city.
In order to keep citizens from becoming a victim, the department released a list of questions to ask when considering roofing contractors. The list of questions can be found below.
- Are they reputable?
- Are they licensed, bonded, and insured?
- Are they registered with the BBB or chamber of commerce?
- Are they approved by your insurance company?
- Do they have a City permit if soliciting door-to-door?
- Do they want some or all payment upfront?
- Do they provide a written contract of work to be done?
- Do they provide a warranty or similar guarantee?
Burkburnett PD suggested if residents are worried about a contractor not being legitimate they should contact their insurance company beforehand.