HPT: The Battle of the Twin Villages took place right outside Nocona
This is our second stop on this week’s Hometown Pride Tour
SPANISH FORT, TX (TNN) - 260 years ago a battle took place in Spanish Fort, TX. The Toavaya tribe had established two identical villages on both sides of the red river.
One in present day Jefferson County, Oklahoma, and the other in Spanish Fort, Texas. On October 7, 1759, about 60 or 70 Indians attacked the Spanish.
The Spanish then formed up in a line of battle and dispersed the small Indian force, pushing them to the banks of the Red River.
The Spanish were surprised to find a moated fort flying a French flag with 14 Frenchman helping the Toavayan Indians.
Inside the walls were the distinctive beehive shaped houses of the Toavaya tribe.
The Spanish estimated the numbers of Indians they faced up to 6000 of whom 500 were mounted on horses while they [the Spanish] only had about 600.
The battle lasted for four hours and the Spanish were forced to retreat back to San Saba.
Just about ten miles up the road from Nocona and about a mile south of the Red River you can find this historical spot.
Copyright 2019 Texoma News Network. All rights reserved.