Man who held National Guard troops at gunpoint indicted, charged with 11 counts of assault

Man who held National Guard troops at gunpoint indicted, charged with 11 counts of assault
Larry Lee Harris, 66, of Arizona, was arrested and charged with Aggravated Assault w/ Deadly Weapon, Unlawful Restraint of 11 National Guard Soldiers, Unlawful Carrying of a Weapon, Impersonating a Public Servant, and Interference with Texas Military Forces. (Source: Lubbock County Detention Center)

MATADOR, Texas (KCBD) - The man accused of holding 11 National Guard troops at gunpoint was indicted by a federal grand jury on Wednesday, Apr. 14, charged with 11 counts of assaulting a federal officer with a deadly or dangerous weapon.

The troops were carrying COVID-19 vaccine to Matador, Texas around 7 a.m. on Monday, Mar. 22.

Larry Harris of Willcox, Arizona, is accused of following three National Guard vans from Love’s Travel Station on East Regis Street in Lubbock to about two miles east of Idalou.

Police say Harris attempted multiple times to run the vans off the road. He then turned his vehicle into oncoming traffic on Hwy. 62/82 and stopped the vans. Police say he pointed a gun at an unarmed National Guardsman, identified himself as a detective, and demanded to search the vehicles and ordered the rest of the unarmed guardsmen out of their vehicles at gunpoint.

When Idalou Police arrived on the scene, Harris was in possession of a loaded Colt 1911 pistol .45 Caliber. He had an additional loaded magazine on his person and another loaded magazine in his truck, police say.

The Idalou officers took Harris into custody without further incident.

Harris was arrested on charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, unlawful restraint of 11 National Guard Soldiers, unlawful carrying of a weapon, impersonating a Public Servant, and interference with Texas Military Forces. The Idalou Police Department is currently investigating this incident. The Lubbock County Sheriff’s Office assisted with the investigation.

None of the Guardsmen were injured and none of them were armed.

“Mr. Harris appeared to be mentally disturbed. This was a very dangerous situation since the suspect was standing in the midst of the unarmed Guardsman with a loaded weapon when the Idalou Officers arrived on scene. We are grateful that the officers were able to take him into custody without any of the Guardsmen, the officers or the suspect getting hurt,” said Eric Williams, Idalou Police Chief.

Copyright 2021 KCBD. All rights reserved.