UPDATE: Suspect in custody after shooting at law enforcement

Published: Oct. 13, 2021 at 4:50 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

WICHITA FALLS, Texas (KAUZ) - The suspect at Turkey Ranch Rd. has been taken to the hospital following a tense standoff with law enforcement.

The incident began when Wichita County deputies responded to a call at around that said a male subject had cut his arm in an attempted suicide at around 1:45 p.m. When deputies arrived, the man allegedly began to fire shots in their direction from the house. Our on-scene reporters confirmed that they could hear the gunfire at around 2 p.m.

“The first responders from Wichita West were here pretty quickly, and they staged down the road until we gave the green light for them to come in. When the deputies got to the front of the residence the individual was outside, and they were met with gunfire,” said Sheriff David Duke of Wichita County Sheriff’s Office.

The subject’s wife and two small children were reportedly in the home during the standoff.

Crisis negotiators from the Wichita County Sheriff’s office and Texas Rangers were eventually able to convince the subject to leave the house. He was placed under arrest and taken to the Wichita County Detention Center, where he was charged with multiple counts of Attempted Capital Murder.

“We had our negotiator get ahold of the wife and she was in the house with some small kids. By this time we had already requested for our full swat and our heavy armor. Then we called Wichita Police Department Chief Borrego to be able to send out their MRAP as well,” said Sheriff Duke.

The Wichita County Sheriff’s Office will be continuing to investigate further into this incident. Other agencies involved included the Wichita County Sheriff’s Office Special Response Unit, Texas Department of Public Safety, Texas Rangers, Texas Game Wardens and Archer County Sheriff’s Office.

“He’s telling us he wants us to kill him but in law enforcement we don’t want to go in any place wanting to kill anybody. However our deputies were advised at any point if he had a weapon in his hand and they had a clear shot with their rifles to take him out. So fortunately it didn’t happen and so I’m really glad for that,” said Sheriff Duke.

Sheriff Duke says they will be back on the scene over the next few days taking measurements and seizing any additional weapons found in the home. This is a developing story. Stick with News Channel 6 as we find out more.

Copyright 2021 KAUZ. All rights reserved.