How to keep your pets safe during Halloween weekend
KAUZ talks with vets on the holiday increase in sick pets, and what to do if your furball gets into the candy
WICHITA FALLS, Texas (KAUZ) - Halloween weekend is a few days away, and although kids and parents are looking forward to eating a bunch of candy, pet owners should take extra steps to keep their furry friends safe.
A little known fact is that Halloween is one of the busiest times of the year for veterinarians. Wichita Falls veterinarians told News Channel 6 that they see a 12% increase in activity around Halloween, as pets dive into candy that wasn’t made to be animal-friendly.
Vets are therefore reminding pet owners to keep candy out of reach from their animals. However, they understand that accidents can happen, and offer advice on how to treat your pets at home.
“If you know that your animal has ingested candy, the best thing to do is to make them vomit,” Cheryl Heineken, Executive Director of Humane Society of Wichita County said. “If you happen to have activated charcoal, which most of us don’t, that works. If not, then you can also use hydrogen peroxide. You just give them a few CC’s depending on your dog’s size.”
Heineken says if you walk them around in a circle afterwards, it should take about 10 to 15 minutes to for the home remedy to work and see your pet regurgitating the offending candy. But if it doesn’t, she says to call the vet.
Copyright 2021 KAUZ. All rights reserved.