Convicted Serial Killer Fails to Get Appeal

Published: Dec. 11, 2014 at 4:47 PM CST|Updated: Dec. 11, 2014 at 6:41 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Faryion Edward Wardrip is a convicted serial killer. He had filed an appeal, alleging that his lawyer was ineffective in failing to present certain evidence, and other legal matters. However, the Texas Criminal Court of Appeals dismissed the claims based on the fact they failed to meet requirements.

He in currently on death row for the murders of 21-year-old  Ellen Blau, 20-year-old Terry Lee Sims, 24-year-old Toni Gibbs, 21-year-old Tina Kimbrew, and 26-year-old Debra Taylor.

On December 21, 1984, Faryion Wardrip killed the first of five women across Texoma and north Texas.

On the 6th of May 1986 Wardrip killed Tina Kimbrew, 21, a recent friend of his. A few days later, on May 9th, he called the police and confessed to the crime. He was sentenced to 35 years in prison. Paroled in 1997, he moved to Olney, where he remarried and became an active supporter of the local church, gaining a good reputation.

In 1999 a Wichita Falls detective named John Little began a cold case investigation that led him to discover a previously unknown link between Wardrip and Ellen Blau, a 21 year old woman who had been found murdered in 1985. Little, who was unknown to Wardrip, asked Wardrip for a cup to spit tobacco into, after which Wardrip gave Little a paper cup that Wardrip had previously used. An analysis of DNA found on the cup matched DNA associated with two rape and murder victims, Terry Lee Sims, 20, and Toni Gibbs, 24. Wardrip was placed under arrest, and in custody confessed to the Sims and Gibbs murders and as well as those of Blau and Debra Taylor, 26.

In 1999, Wardrip was sentenced to death for the murder of Sims, and three life terms for the other killings. In 2008, a federal magistrate recommended that the death penalty be overturned because Wardrip received ineffective defense in his trial. On June 14, 2011, the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals reversed a lower court ruling that ordered the State of Texas to either give Wardrip a new sentencing trial, or agree to giving him a life sentence. The case will be sent back to the U.S. District Court for reconsideration.

Wardrip remains on death row at the Polunsky Unit in Livingston.